Hi! I’m Wil Gibbs - a Ph.D. student at Airzona State University (ASU) interested in Systems Security. I currently work at SEFCOM under Dr. Ruoyu (Fish) Wang who is my primary advisor, but I also work closely with Dr. Adam Doupé, Dr. Yan SHoshitaishvili, and Dr. Tiffany Bao. I have a strong interest in anything binary analysis related with most of my research focus on static analysis.
When I’m not doing Research, I am competing in ethical hacking competitions called CTFs! I am the captain of the internationally known CTF team Shellphish which routinely competes in DEFCON CTF (and has continue to have done so during my time as captain). I started the ASU based CTF team pwndevils which has transitioned into the ASU Hacking Club and pipelines talented hackers directly into Shellphish. I try my best at pwn and rev based challenges (with a sprinkle of web) under the handle clasm when competing.
Honors and Awards
- Partial Win in NAS Category at Pwn2Own (Captain of ASU SEFCOM), Toronto, Canada, 2022
- 13th Place in DEF CON 30 CTF (Shellphish), Las Vegas, USA, 2022
- 14th Place in DEF CON 29 CTF (Shellphish), Las Vegas, USA, 2021
- 7th Place in DEF CON 28 CTF (Shellphish), Virtual, 2020
- 10th Place in DEF CON 27 CTF (Shellphish), Las Vegas, USA, 2019
- FURI Grant award 2016 (ASU)
- Spring 2022 : Accelerated Applied Security (CSE 598), Instructor of Record
- Spring 2021 : Information Assurance (CSE 365), Teaching Assistant